Over the last month I’ve made serious progress on getting the home office setup. After having modeled everything out and measured multiple times, I went out to the closest lumber yard that sold pegboard and got them to cut two sheets to fit the top space of the workbench area. Installation of pegboard was new to be but was simple enough that I had the boards mounted in an hour.

It ain't perfect but it'll do

A post shared by Joshua Jones (@sorensblade) on

The cuts done on the pegboard weren’t the best as you can see above, but that didn’t concern me much. The point of this wall of pegboard was for it to work as a quick access/storage area for tools and parts. After seeing the pegboard in place, it got me pretty excited to get the actual workbench installed. At this point I decided to break the workbench out into two phases.

I don’t have any table saws or tools to cut 1 inch thick MDF boards and while I’ve had awesome friends say I can visit their workshops to perform these cuts, I decided to start off with no “power moat”. I wanted to get the workbench installed and being used as soon as possible. The power moat addition will probably be added to the workbench sometime in the next few months. I know myself well enough that if I tried to do it all as I envisioned at the start of the year, it would take months to get done. Other projects, other work would become an easy excuse for delaying getting it all setup. As the phrase goes, “perfection is the enemy of good”.

Next is to actually get this mounted.

A post shared by Joshua Jones (@sorensblade) on

On a weekend when I had a few hours, I ran over to Austin Hardwoods to look through their selection of MDF. A friend suggested I check this place out due to this vertical saw they had being able to make really clean cuts. The guy helping me at the shop couldn’t understand my interest and excitement with it, but it was new and cool to me. Thanks to the joys of the web, I found a video of someone working the saw:

After getting the board and the angle brackets to mount it on, I raced home to get everything screwed into place. I used a smaller piece of the MDF from the sheet I bought to make sure I was getting the alignment and placement of the brackets just right but ran into yet another hiccup when all that was in place.

The side walls in the cutout space seemed to almost bevel out towards the front. So when measuring the width of the space against the back wall, I would get 70.5 inches, but measuring the front opening sides produced a width of 70.25 inches. The board couldn’t slide into place due to the slight difference in width towards the front of the space. My solution was to slowly sand the sides of the board down, testing the fit regularly to avoid sanding away too much. To my excitement, this worked and I got the board mounted and ready for use relativity quickly.

Neat.

A post shared by Joshua Jones (@sorensblade) on

I can mark the “home office” project as pretty much complete now. I plan to do iterations on different areas in the office, like the addition of the power moat, but for the time being I’m able to game, code and build all in one awesome space. It didn’t take me long to make tweaks either, as a few people pointed out it’d be a good idea to add some support under the board. Instead of another piece of MDF, I went with a slotted angle with the intent of being able to hang things on it or use a magnet for easy storage of loose screws. Now time to start making stuff.

One last addition to the workbench to give it a bit of support.

A post shared by Joshua Jones (@sorensblade) on